Its really spending time with this youth group. God's hand is so evident in me being here. As I prayed about where to go to college, I spent a lot of time praying about whether I should go to Wheaton College or UT. In fact, the subject consumed much of my prayer life during my senior year. The February of my senior year, I heard Brad speak about prayer at a local retreat. I remember him talking about praying for God to "open what ever door should be opened and close whatever door should be closed." That became my prayer. From that point on, I assumed if I was supposed to go to Wheaton, I'd get in. If not, I wouldn't receive the acceptance letter. I told myself that a really great job would be the only reason to stay in town. After several more months of prayer, I received my Wheaton letter. It contained all of God's sense of humor and none of the answers I hoped for. I was not rejected. I was not accepted. I was wait-listed. I remember when I opened the letter, reading it for the first time, realizing I had never considered this option. I decided to leave my name on the wait-list, meanwhile confirming my enrollment at UT. Yet I met this decision without an job prospects...that is until several months later. I received an email about a position as a youth worship leader and quickly applied. I began to see God's plans and options at work. After more waiting, I was offered the position. I accepted the job and removed my name from the Wheaton wait-list.
I truly believe that God provided me with options. If I had written a letter, most likely I could have gone to Wheaton . It is a fantastic school and I know God would have taught me a lot there. Wheaton certainly offered a lot of experiences. Yet, in all of its unique flair, UT offers me many opportunities as well. All of which I am grateful for. God's plans are so much bigger and brighter than I expect. I see so much of God's provision in being where I'm at now. Everything fell into place and still is today- down to the little details of my new best friend being in the bed next to me on my first youth retreat as an adult.
Love and Peace,
D
Megan now, and I'm sitting in a room with Dani--two double beds, a bathroom to share with only my best friend, 2 bags of M&Ms and 2 bags of Sour Patch Kids, Imogen Heap playing in the background, and lots of giggles. This is the life. This is what I've been waiting for. This is what chaperoning should be... although it's more difficult to be "scary" when the boys next door are being too loud--especially since just 3 months ago I was still a youth--than I thought it would be.
Seriously, though, this trip is such a blessing. I love these kids. And I love being with my best friend. For one thing, worship tonight, which I helped lead, was awesome. And the kids are amazing. I can't stress that enough.
Today, we met Batman. We hung out with three AMAZING young ladies. We rode the carousel and the swings... and we ate a funnel cake, after which we had a slight... sugar fight of sorts? Notice the odd white powder on the ground in the last photo, and realize that all of that was Dani's fault, and I was not to blame in any way.
...or not, haha. We're a little too goofy to be chaperones.
I have a few pictures to put up, so I'm going to do that now. But I hope that all who read this realize what a blessing best friends are... and that sometimes, God pulls them from the most unexpected places.
-M
No comments:
Post a Comment